Sunday, April 15, 2012

Book Review: Stonehenge by Bernard Cornwell




This was the first book I've read by Bernard Cornwell and I was very pleased with his writing :). It was recommended to me by a friend, it is one of her favorites. I can see why. If you are a fan of historical fiction at all, I think you should probably read this. 

The story, obviously, is a fictional story about the creation of Stonehenge. I'll admit, I didn't expect great things from this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. The amount of depth and detail put into this book is really quite amazing. Every character in this story has so much work put into it. Sometimes you can't tell if they are insane or insanely intelligent. I loved Saban right from the beginning to end. I also thought I was going to like Camaban, but that changed throughout the story. The characters grow and change so much throughout the book. I couldn't bring myself it like any of the female characters in this story, but I don't know that we are supposed to like them. Their roles are ever changing. Bernard made it so easy to immerse yourself in this fictional past that I could easily believe all of it was true. This is indeed a great book that I would definitely recommend. I'm glad my friend shared it with me :) I think I will need to read some more books by Cornwell in the future.



I gave it 4/5 stars :)

No comments:

Post a Comment