Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Review- J.R.R Tolkien: A Biography by Humphrey Carpenter



I had a lot of fun reading this book! :D I am a big lover of Tolkien's work, so I was quite excited to get a peek at the man behind the words.

It was really great reading about what kind of person he was, what things he experienced in his life that effected the things he would later write about. It was an emotional ride through his ups and downs. It was inspiring, to read about the intense amount of time and dedication he put into everything he worked on, although there was a lot of procrastination at times as well ;P. But when he was on the task at hand, he gave it everything he had and more! He strived for absolute perfection and expected nothing but the best from his self. Reading about how each of his works were created and what was happening in his life at the time and how people initially reacted to his work was really interesting and fun for me.

I have always loved Tolkien and now I feel I love him even more. I love not just his works, but the person behind them. He was a really wonderful person who was well loved by all those lucky enough to be part of his life.

I liked what the author said at the end of the biography about how, reading The Lord of the Rings was better than reading any biography because that story was all of him. he put a giant part of his life into that story.

I literally felt heartbroken when the biography ended with his death, I felt in reading this book that I had come to know him personally and I felt as if I might cry.

I think I might have to get myself a copy of this book :)


I gave it 4/5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment